Understanding Internet and TCP Protocols
- Find and identify the RFCs for IP and TCP.
RFC _______ – Internet Protocol
RFC _______– Transmission Control Protocol
- Refer to the RFCs to answer the following questions.
Questions about IP
- What two basic functions does IP implement?
- What four key mechanisms does IP use to provide its service?
- Via what protocol does IP communicate errors?
- In the IP header, what is the Identification field used for?
- A number of bits within the IP header are designated reserved or optional; why would these be important in network security?
Questions about TCP
- What is the difference between a socket and a connection?
- What are the five calls the TCP/user interface provides for?
- What is a passive OPEN request?
- Describe the three-way handshake.
- At a workstation, open some web pages.
Identify the ports your machine is listening on and the state of the various connections it is holding