The American Public Health Association (APHA) is one of the largest, oldest, and most respected professional organizations in the health field. For over a century, the APHA has brought together noted scholars and public health leaders for its annual meetings. The association has over 27 primary sections representing major public health disciplines, including aging and public health, health care administration, epidemiology, disaster and emergency management, technology, community health practice, HIV/AIDS, and so on.
Professionals who attend the APHA annual meeting can choose from over 1,000 scientific sessions, roundtables, poster sessions, institutes, and panel discussions at which more than 5,000 scientific papers are presented.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Access the APHA website at http://www.apha.org/.
- Under the AHPA Communities tab, review the sections and related disciplines under the “Member Sections and State Affiliates”.
- Under the Events and Meetings tab, locate the upcoming or past conference themes.
- Explore some of the other resources, publications, and educational opportunities that might help you develop professionally as well as contribute to the field. Refer to the List of Professional Organizations for (Health Informatics) which is your Program of Study for ideas on some organizations to explore.
- Below is the list of Professtional Organization for Health Informatics. Please is should all be in APA format and also include Intext citations.
- American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
- American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA)
- American Nursing Informatics Association (ANIA)
- Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS)
- International Medical Informatics Association (IMIA)
By Day 4
Post a thoughtful response to the following:
- Which of the APHA sections appeals most to you and why (you can chose more than one)?
- Do you feel APHA is an organization that will help you develop professionally as well as contribute to the field? Explain.
- Search online for another professional organization related to your profession. Provide a brief description of this organization—its purpose and mission—and provide the website URL.
- Why should you and consider membership in this organization as a scholar-practitioner and social change agent?