Read the attached file IMPORTANT INFORMATION carefully,
Choosing an Apgrogriate Strategic Model
Models which may help you in your exploration of the appropriate
strategic approaches for organisations:
0 Boxall & Purcell (2003, 2008) – aligning HR and business strategy
0 Miles & Snow (1984) – modes of strategic orientation (defenders,
prospectors, analysers & reactors)
0 Porter (1985) – generic business strategy (cost leadership vs
0 Sisson & Storey (2000) – life cycle model
0 Fomh/reun et Elé1984) – Michigan Model (external influence olinteKrkial W
fit) ’40 ‘ ’ [x ,l-OWAGL Qaclrws m 8 AW w M “W
o Schuler & Jackson (1987) – competitive advantage & HR practices
o Pfeffer (1994) – Best Fit
0 Barney (1991) – RBV (Resource Based View)
In approximately 800 – 900 words (attached case study):
1. Evaluate the organisational requirements for creating an effective reward (financial and non-financial) strategy in a more competitive / changing business climate
2. Analyse and evaluate the role of the line managers in facilitating the construction of this revised strategy
3. Briefly examine any potential ethical issues that may arise in achieving this outcome
Key Issues to Consider:
• Do not see the questions as being separate things. Try to construct an answer that brings all the pieces together.
• Do not use more than 800 / 900 words – it is not about quantity but very much about quality. Try and use at least 6 or 7 different academic. sources to underpin your ideas. Provide a reference list with your work.
• Some aspects (e.g. professionalism and ethics) will require broader consideration in light of the management task subjects (e.g. recruitment, engagement, reward). In other words you will have to consider the potential impact of the line manager’s approach and behaviour in managing, developing or maintaining good practice (or possibly in the identification of bad or poor practice)
• The subjects you will or may need to have an input and understanding of will include professional management, ethical management, managing the psychological contract, recruitment and resourcing, reward management, employee engagement, line managers working with the HR team
• Do not use “I” statements such as “I think.” Likewise, avoid the personal pronouns “you,” “we,” “my,” “your” or “our”. This is referred to as writing in either first person or second person
• Don’t use cover page or anything else, just to save the word count for the body only. So the only required is body and references.
• Try to keep your references recourses within the attached file Recommended references.
• Please use brackets when referencing, example (2001).
Recommended Core Text
• Rees G and French R (eds) (2010) Leading, Managing and Developing People London: CIPD