Please answer question number 1 and select 2 additional questions from the following questions. Please ensure your responses comport to APA format and you cite and reference your work. You will need to do additional research in addition to reviewing your course content to answer these questions.
- 1. How has the media enhanced the powers of the presidency? Has this made government more or less democratic? Has it weakened the legislative branch (the branch in which the people are more directly represented) and consequently made government less democratic? Or has it put the president more directly in touch with the people—and strengthened the public’s voice in government? Has the media changed the presidency in other ways?
Select 2 of the following
- 2. A new president has about 3,000 positions to fill after he is sworn in. The time it takes to staff a new administration has been steadily increasing. Why? Discuss the major factors that must be considered when a president is deciding who to appoint to his administration.
- 3. The Two Presidencies thesis argues that a president is in a much more powerful position in foreign affairs than he is for domestic affairs. Why have presidents generally been more dominant in foreign policy than they in domestic policy?
- 4. A president’s popularity while in office may be quite different than his historical standing. Cite at least three examples of presidents whose standing today is either significantly better or worse than it was while they were in office and explain why the change.
- 5. The basic provisions of the Electoral College and their relationship to the various controversies that arose during the 2000 and 2016 election. Discuss the arguments for and against the Electoral College and the arguments for and against the popular election of the president.
- Discuss the changing nature of the president’s legislative role. Discuss the resources that a president has to push his legislative program through Congress and how specific presidents have used them.