Final Research Paper
For the Final Research Paper, select a topic from the list below and write an eight- to ten-page paper (excluding title page and reference page) using a minimum of six scholarly and/or official government sources. These topics represent a few of the challenges the United States faces in homeland security and its impact on American society. The paper must demonstrate an understanding of the topic through a review of literature, analysis of specific incidents or events, evaluation of mitigation strategies, and response and recovery measures. The final section of the paper must address evaluations of existing preparedness measures and your recommendations for future responses to your topic of presentation.
You are encouraged to research United States Government websites, such as the DHS or the FEMA websites, the CIA Fact Book, as well as the databases available through the Ashford University Library. All of these topics for this assignment may be addressed from the federal, state, or local government, private sector, or non-Government agency perspective.
Approved research topics are:
- The challenges of protecting America’s critical infrastructure.
The Final Research Paper must
- Analyze historical incidents or events appropriate to the topic selected.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of current DHS policies and procedures affecting the topic selected.
- Draw conclusions based on analysis of your topic.
- Propose recommendations for the DHS based on the analysis of your topic.
The Final Research Paper
- Must be eight to ten pages in length (excluding the title and reference pages) and formatted according to APA style.
- Must include a cover page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
- Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
- Must use at least six scholarly and/or government sources.
- Must document all sources in APA style.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style.